Thursday, October 18, 2012

On Personal Ads

       Personal ads are supposed to offer a summarized glimpse into someone else.  The goal is to promote oneself so that the other single (hopefully) person reading the ad can generate a spark of interest and pursue a line of communication.
       Blah, blah, blah.  The problem with personal ads is that they’re written by the person trying to promote themselves.  It’s sort of like an advertisement for cars, where every vehicle has the highest safety ratings and the best gas mileage.  Hmm.  Sounds fishy.
       Hence this article.  Here, I’ve compiled a list of commonly used buzzwords and phrases with their real-world translations.  This should help decipher what people are really trying to say with their ads.

       Physical Descriptions
       A few extra pounds:  a few dozen extra pounds
       Attractive:  homely
       Average:  below average
       Big-boned:  John Goodman
       Curvy:  Rosie O’Donnell
       Cute:  mediocre
       Fit:  owns a gym membership but doesn’t go
       Hot:  dresses like Madonna
       Handsome:  looks like the Elephant Man
       Heavyset:  proudly orders the large combo
       Husky:  lumberjack
       Muscular:  half-witted
       Large:  see ‘Big-boned’ and/or ‘Curvy’
       Sexy:  neurotic about appearance
       Short:  five ten with chip on shoulder
       Slender:  neurotic about food
       Tall:  above 5’6”
       Thin:  delusional
       Toned:  spray-tans
       Voluptuous: wishes she looked like J-Lo
       Well-built:  wishes he looked like Ahhnold


       Likes and Hobbies
       Art: I will nitpick your decor
       Beaches:  I have no direction in life
       Boats:  I daydream
       Candlelit Dinners:  I have acne
       Cars:  I’m easily entertained
       Cloud-watching:  I’m braindead
       Coffee:  I’m a jackoff first thing in the morning
       Cooking:  I like spoiling others
       Crafts:  I only know one position
       Cuddling:  I’m in the closet and in denial
       Eating:  I like indulging myself
       Gardening:  I like getting dirty
       Hanging out:  I’m an alcoholic and/or pothead
       Holding hands:  I’m a virgin
       Long walks:  I’m unoriginal
       Motorcycles:  I play at being a bad boy/girl
       Movies:  I state the obvious
       Music:  I ignore emergency vehicles while driving
       Politics:  I’m belligerent
       Reading:  I like it when you don’t talk
       Skiing:  I’m overpaid
       Skydiving:  I’m suicidal
       Sleeping:  My bed cost more than my car
       Sunsets:  I’m not romantic at all
       Surfing the Net:  I’m a pervert
       Video Games:  I have ADD


       Personality
       Adventurous:  constantly gets lost
       Caring:  smothering
       Charming:  player
       Crazy:  crazy
       Dependable:  inflexible
       Down to Earth:  drama queen/king
       Feisty:  stubborn
       Fun-loving:  irresponsible
       Funny:  repeats bad jokes
       Great personality:  I crack mirrors
       Homebody:  boring
       Honest:  uptight
       Intelligent:  arrogant
       Laid back:  lazy
       Likes pets:  lonely and/or desperate
       Loving:  codependent
       Outgoing:  overbearing
       Quiet:  hates people
       Romantic:  never had a relationship
       Shy:  socially awkward
       Smart:  uses long words incorrectly
       Spontaneous:  incapable of planning
       Talkative:  never shuts up
       Wild:  has multiple DUI’s
       Witty:  sarcastic


       Seeking...
       A friend:  I have trust issues
       A hookup:  we’re both adults with needs
       Companion:  someone to do things for me
       Lifemate:  I’m overly clingy
       My soulmate:  run, run now
       Someone to trust:  I have no self-esteem
       The love of my life:  I read Harlequins
       The One:  I’m a fairy tale princess


Obviously, this is an incomplete list.  However, it should be sufficient to get you started on your path to truth.  Take, for example, the following ad:  

“I'm looking for a friend to hang out watch movies an Injoy life I love coffee an I'm kinda a home body I guess depends but I Injoy talkeing long walks looking up at the sky in wounder I love having cook outs with friends an a few beers. I love music its my realse to the world it gives me a sence of anything can happen its how we handle those things that make us strong but Im looking for someone I can trust in life a true companion friend till the end. Message for email :) Life is full of memories to make”

Yes, this is a real ad (fancy link).  Atrocious grammar and spelling aside, here is the translation:

“I have trust issues and am an alcoholic pothead who likes to enjoy life.  I’m a jackoff first thing in the morning and am kind of boring, I guess, but I never shut up and am unoriginal and braindead.  I love spoiling my friends and drinking a few beers.  I love to ignore emergency vehicles while driving, it gives me a sense that anything can happen.  It’s how we handle those things that make us strong, but I have no self-esteem and am looking for someone to do things for me til the end.  Message me for my email address :)  Life is full of memories to make.”

Well, now, the truth shall set you free!  At least now you’ll really know what you’re getting into.  Why not go check out a few more of those eHarmony profiles you were reading earlier with a little more clarity?

No comments:

Post a Comment